NAPSA Legislative Agenda 2023-2024:
The NAPSA Legislative Agenda is shaped by federal and state policy issues and proposed legislation that have an impact on the administration of pupil services, the constituents of NAPSA’s membership, and the children who benefit from the delivery of pupil services. The NAPSA Legislative Committee, led by the NAPSA Public Policy and Legislative Advisor, reviews, analyzes, and adopts a position on legislative proposals or issues for formal disposition to become a unifying voice in the implementation of the pupil services process in collaboration with the National Alliance of Specialized Instructional Support Personnel (NASISP).
- Initiate, develop, and enact NAPSA legislative proposals to implement association goals and objectives;
- Review, analyze, and adopt written positions on federal/state/local policy issues; bills; proposed rules and regulations; and practices that impact the delivery of pupil services;
- Articulate the views of NAPSA to legislators through contact by telephone, written correspondence, electronic communication, and/or personal contact;
- Work with other like-minded organizations, legislative bodies, state and national agencies and boards of education, the public, and the media to promote the proper purposes and expectations of pupil services administrators in delivering quality education and services to students;
- Disseminate salient legislative information to its membership;
- Seek input and opinions of NAPSA members to better represent their respective interests;
- Petition for issues pertinent to pupil services;
- Provide assistance to legislators and, where appropriate, to develop and influence the passage of legislation beneficial to the recipients of pupil services; and
- Maintain and strengthen effective liaisons/relationships with other professional organizations and groups such as NASISP, the IDEA Partnership, and NASN to implement and improve interactive and cross-stakeholder activities at the federal, state, and local levels.
The NAPSA Legislative Agenda is reviewed annually by the NAPSA Executive Board.